Monday, May 28, 2012

Keeping the "Memorial" In Memorial Day


Lately on Facebook, I have seen a lot of photos with a funny tagline to the effect of, "It's Not National Barbecue Day."   For some reason I didn't want to repost one of those photos this morning, but the point is well taken.  What are you doing today to remember our men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice in service of our country, besides firing up the grill later?  Not being a military family, we've never been all that intent on making a huge deal out of Memorial Day ourselves, but we're trying to be a little more diligent, especially now that the kids are a bit older.  This year, the kids are marching in the local parade with the scouts, and I'm going to give blood over in Lake Bluff.

Getting a little pinprick isn't anything to compare with the blood of our soldiers that has been spilled in defense of our country, but it's my small way of trying to honor those who have fallen.

Feel free to share your thoughts on this solemn day, and we'll be back to our regular political programming tomorrow.

2 comments:

One Nation said...

TA- As a Democrat, I often disagree with many of your posts and many of the comments. But today we are all Americans. Actually, tomorrow we'll still be Americans. And I imagine I'll shock people tomorrow like I did today and have for many years when they learn I know more about the likes of Ernest E. Evans and Norman Cota than most folks my age and political leaning. But today we set politics and parties aside and stand in silent awe and pride of those who paid the ultimate price, of those who fought for the freedoms we now cherish, and for those families who "laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom".

This was a good post today, TA. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Well said TA.

As Americans we should always remember that Freedom is not Free.
We are the Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave!

Trebor of Libertyville