AIPAC is pushing for additional support for the resolution, and notes the following in an e-mail making the rounds: The resolution calls on Hamas to renounce terrorism, fully disarm and recognize Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state. It also reaffirms the House of Representative's strong support for Israel's right to defend her citizens against continuing Hamas terrorism. It also notes the following points:
- In light of former President Carter's meeting with Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal in Damascus, Congress needs to remind the world Hamas is a terrorist organization calling for Israel's destruction and responsible for the death of American citizens.
- Since 1989, Hamas has killed more than 500 people, including 26 Americans, and has been designated as a terrorist group by the United States and the EU.
- Hamas should be isolated until they renounce terrorism, recognize Israel's right to exist, and accept past agreements between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.
- Since Israel withdrew from Gaza in 2005, Hamas and other Iranian and Syrian-backed terrorists have fired more than 6,000 rockets and mortars at Israeli population centers. Hamas also continues to smuggle weapons and build up its infrastructure for future conflict with Israel.
- Israel has been remarkably restrained in the face of continuing Hamas rocket attacks. If these attacks continue, Israel may need to take more vigorous action to exercise its inherent right to defend her citizens from such wanton violence.
Get ready for another Dan Seals "Me too!" press release in a few days, after he's had a chance to think about it and huddle with his advisors.
UPDATED: Jewish Telegraphic Agency Notes Kirk Resolution: The JTA noted the house resolution condemning Hamas that was sponsored by Mark Kirk. Congressman Eric Cantor (R-Va), who is the deputy minority whip, stated "We ought to be screaming from the rafters about the lack of judgment in the former president going to a known terrorist. Khaled Mashaal is the worst of the worst."
Coincidentally, Congressman Cantor will be in town tonight as the keynote speaker at the Lake County Republican Federation Spring Gala, at the Marriott Lincolnshire Resort. The Spring Gala is the largest annual gathering of Republicans in Lake County, with attendance this year expected to top 600 people.