Friday, May 29, 2009

Lake County Republican Federation Dinner Features South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford

Last night, the Lake County Republican Federation sponsored its 47th Annual Spring Gala, featuring South Carolina Mark Sanford.

Sorry for the poor quality picture; for some reason I could not get my Blackberry to zoom in.

It was a good crowd that responded well to Sanford's message of fiscal responsibility and his concern with the direction of the country under President Obama. As the governor said, it doesn't make any sense to try to spend your way out of a crisis caused by debt using borrowed money. But, that's what the Obama administration seems bent on doing.

Special recognition awards were given to retired State Senator Bill Peterson and his long-time assistant and confidante, Jan Zobus, and also to former Mayor of Mettawa, Barry MacLean, for his 39 years of service as a village trustee and mayor.

There are lots of GOP events coming up that were highlighted during the dinner, including Sheriff Mark Curran's golf outing coming up on Friday June 5th at the Antioch Golf Course, and the GOP Central Committee Golf Outing on Wednesday June 24th, at White Deer Run Gold Club in Vernon Hills. Call Ant Simonian at Lake County GOP Headquarters for more information on either event, 847-680-6680.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

TA, is there any way we can get a transcript of Governor Sanford's speech that he gave last night.

He was extremely thoughtful and analytical last night and it was a pleasure to hear him live.

In the alternative, can you post an audio of his speech here?

Louis G. Atsaves
(new Gov. Sanford fan)

Team America said...

Lou- I'll check on that. I was too busy last night checking on things like whether the dessert was being served on time to see if we recorded the speech. I got the impression that the governor spoke just from a few notes (often that's better, when you really know what you want to communicate) so I'm not sure he has prepared remarks that we can get hold of.

Anonymous said...

His wife is from Winnetka,was this mentioned.

FOKLAES

Anonymous said...

While I thought the Guv was a great speaker I was a bit dismayed to hear the Rush Limbaugh patter which came out loud and clear.

I'm a moderate R and just because I believe a few issues should not be part of our platfom I do not consider myself a RINO. Some religious issues should between ourselves and whatever spiritual entity we believe in. We need to broaden the party and by sticking to ultra conservative positions it will take us a very very long time to be a viable party again. We have to understand the times we live in and make some adjustments so that we appeal to more people. I want to see a Republican President and Congress before I go to the great beyond but at the rate we are going I don't think it will happen.

Anonymous said...

No assistance for my State's citizens who are struggling in part due to lax regulation, that we don't make anything in the US anymore, and due to significant foreign ownership of long-held domestic companies (beer, too)!

Who cares about the people who pay my salary, I have election(s) to think about!