Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Events of September 11th Are Seared Into the Hearts and Minds of the American People

When I was growing up, I used to recall adults talking about remembering where they were when President Kennedy got shot, or the first men landed on the Moon, and similar events. I do recall coming home from school one day and my mom telling me that President Reagan had been shot, but that event didn't sear itself into my mind anywhere near the degree to which the events of September 11, 2001 will never be put out of my mind.

I happened to be out east on business on that day, coincidentally not too far from where Flight 93 crashed into a field. I drove all the way back to Chicago in my rental car later that day and into the night, since all planes were grounded. All the way back, I listened to the radio reports as the announcers tried to piece together what happened, and what it all meant.

Use comments to share your remembrances of that fateful day, if you like, or other related thoughts on this important day.

3 comments:

Publia said...

If I were a radical (and news savvy) Islamist, today would be a very good day for me. Nine short years after attacking America for its sins, and the American Library Association is reading the Koran aloud on the steps of its headquarters in Chicago on the anniversary of 9/11. Nearly every member of the current US administration, and one of the favored leaders of the Teaparty movement, have done almost everything legal within their power to make it clear that the First Amendment and cherished American rights are not anywhere as important as Muslim sensitivities abroad by heaping public scorn on and encouraging hatred of an obscure Southern Minister for his negative opinion on Islam and his plan to harm several Korans.

I thought 9/11/2001 was one of the most terrible days of my life, but I think today is worse.

Anonymous said...

OUTRAGEOUS Publia if it's true. Just because someone has the right it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. What has happened to this country?

Baxter and Beau's Mom

Publia said...

B&B's mom,

Yes, its true and no, the minister in Florida is not nice. I'd be the last to say his planned bonfire was a good idea.

The First Amendment allows people do say and do unpopular, unwise, and stupid things. It also places even slow-witted and wrong-minded people--often seen through history as expendable--in a position superior to inanimate objects, including holy books.

While I've been wondering why no Americans are complaining about American flag burning abroad and the cries of "Death to America," I've decided that it is precisely because Americans DO take the First Amendment seriously and believe people are entitled to their opinion. That should, however, also include the Florida preacher.